Community Work-Study Students

Become Member

You must sign in to become a member of this group
Please note that joining requires approval and may take several days to review and approve.
You must have a verified email address to join this group

Membership Instructions


We're excited that you have chosen to use your Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds top engage in the Richmond community through the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE)!  Here is what you need to do to get started:

1. Pre-Employment Paperwork
First-time FWS students who are U.S. citizens must bring the following completed tax forms and required documents to the Office of Financial Aid (Queally Center, Suite 214) so they may be approved to work:
•    State income tax form (VA-4)
•    Federal income tax form (W-4)
•    Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9 form).
To complete the I-9 form, students must present unexpired, original document(s) which include, but are not limited to, a passport or birth certificate and social security card.  More detailed information is available on the “new employees” tab of the student jobs website.  Please review this information carefully.

2.  Release to Work Form from Student Employment
Once you are approved to work by student employment, you will receive a Release to Work form. Bring this form to Natalie Thatcher at the CCE main office (201 Tyler Hanes Commons) to let her know you are now legal to work.  You cannot be paid for any hours worked prior to getting a Release to Work form from Student Employment.

3.  Community Work-Study Training
All students who wish to participate in the CCE’s Community Work-Study program must complete a brief, mandatory training session where they will learn how to get paid for community service with a participating off-campus organization.  Upon completion of the training session, you will be hired as a CCE Community Partner Assistant and your Bannerweb time sheet will be activated.

4.  Direct Deposit
Students are strongly encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit of their student pay check and can sign up for Direct Deposit electronically on the Employee tab in BannerWeb. Once you submit your request for direct deposit, electronic deposit begins with your second paycheck.

5.  Getting Paid
Students receiving Federal Work-Study funds may only earn the amount stipulated in their work-study award.  Further instructions about logging hours will be covered during the mandatory Community Work-Study training session.